Monday, August 09, 2010

Fort Knox chicken coop: keepin' the dog out!




OH SHAME, I HAVN'T blogged for my chickens in sooo long.
Today I have 2 cochins, 1 buff orphington, 1 dominecker, 2 australops, 1 silver wyandotte, 1 gold wyandotte, 2 naked neckkers, 1 white leghorn, 3 americanas, 1 rhode island red and a very horny sexy white leghorn rooster....Napolean. He is very protective of the hens and will attack my dog. I usually take the side of the rooster when in combat. LOL

2010 is the year of the BROOD. My buff orph.... KEEPS going next door and laying eggs. She is on her 3rd clutch of eggs since May. I have given up checking on her. The underbrush is thick where she lays ( and LIVES :) and as I found out, its FULL of poison ivy. Yes, a month ago I got poison ivy for the 1st time. IT IS HORRIBLE. Just NASTY! In June, one of my cochins decided to go broody and sat on eggs... of which now I have 7 chicks. I still have 10 chicks from "Yellow Gal", the buff orph.

So YESTERDAY I decided to finally TOTALLY dog proof my coop; I expanded it to about 25' x 70'... sturdy chicken wire. the dog can be t rouble and drools over my chicks. I have had many fatalities in the last 7 years of raising hens, and I am tired of that. So here are pix of my new coop area and hopefully it will be like Fort Knox as far as the dog is concerned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home