Thursday, July 27, 2006

Pondering the fragility of life













I had originally marked 12 eggs for MEREDITH, 3 have broken. So we are down 9. I am a bit concerened at this point that more eggs could break. This could be because the hens are not getting enough calcium. Or, because everytime MEREDITH gets off her nest for a break .. another hen may sit to lay her eggs! (traffic may cause broken eggs). I have put another nesting box out for the other hens but to no avail; Life is so precious.

It is amazing:
1)That MEREDITH (who was an incubated chick and hand raised) is actually sitting on eggs in the first place.
2)That the eggs are actually fertilized... (even though I have 2 busy roosters)
3)That the eggs last for 3 weeks under the hen without being broken!
4)That a chick is born healthy.
5)That the chick will grow to adulthood.I'll be happy for MEREDITH to have one healthy chick at this point.

Now I am marvelling at the fragility of life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home