Sunday, July 23, 2006

ITS DAY 5 !!



Well, since my chickens and roosters are so important in my life (other than my daughter, my coyote-dog Diamond, and my special friends (and that's YOU Truvey because you understand chickens too).
I have decided to have a special blog about my birds.
After having yardbirds for 3 years - finally - one of my hens (MEREDITH) has decided to SIT. Today she is sitting on 12 eggs!!! (She has been setting for 6 days) I never thought my birds would sit on their eggs because most of them are "store bought" and were raised in incubators, not by "farm chicken moms". I have had 2 birds sit for a day but they would always quit.
MEREDITH is a white leghorn, yep, the kind you see in those awful imfamous egg breeding barns where the poor white birds do nothing but lay white eggs for people who shop at Walmart, Kroger, Safeway, you get my drift.
MEREDITH has become very cranky and that's cool, she is a MOM to be..and working hard.. I am praying that she will have several healthy baby chicks and that she will be a good Mom and keep the babies safe from getting through the fence, safe from my dog and from the other hens.
What is funny about all this, is that none of the eggs belong to MEREDITH. They were laid by other hens, different breeds such as my araucanas and my plymouth rock.
Today I figured 12 eggs was plenty so I took Truvey's advice and marked them up well with pencil. This way I can remove (and eat or sell) the fresh eggs that are laid for now on. My other hens insist on cuddling up with MEREDITH and laying their daily eggs.
The new chicks (I am praying and thrilled about this) have two fathers... I have 2 roosters, Hans and Jasper. These are small mixed breeds roosters with a lot of bantam in them. So the chicks will (God willing) be very mixed and interesting.
Ms. MEREDITH is "due" on or around Truvey's birthday August 7. Here's a pic of the flock and white Meredith is located at about "eight O' clock".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home