Tuesday, July 25, 2006

a little history on MEREDTH

As of today, MEREDITH is still a pullet, under one year old; here she is on my shoulder, about one month old. MEREDITH had a twin sister called Xena who eventually died after too much injury.

I had been taking care of MEREDITH because the mature hens had almost pecked the life out of her because she was very young and scared and got herself cornered in the coop. Yes, Hens can be very mean at first, that's why they call it a "pecking order"... excuse the gory picture but that's the way it is.









MEREDITH is such a survivor! About 6 weeks later, when she was bigger, (and Xena was still around) MEREDITH and Xena escaped the coop. My dog caught and teased both of them and Xena was badly injured. MEREDITH was not hurt but in shock. It was also about 45 out and they both got very cold. So I warmed them up in my electric blankie. Eventually I had to euthanize Xena but MEREDITH is a fighter !
When the hens get out of the coop, my dog has learned not to kill - but she still may scare them to death. I have had a hen die of simple shock. However, I love my dog and do many things to keep the chickens from escaping the coop.
She's one tough chicken and should be a good protective Mama!










SO here is MEREDITH at about 3 months old - her large floppy comb has not grown in yet! She is still at the bottom of the pecking order (except for my 3 young araucanas who seem to take good care of themselves as a group)
Now MEREDITH is going to be the HEAD mama of the coop; She's as cranky as can be and her babies will be here in about 2 weeks - maybe longer if we have to incubate some of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home