Tuesday, August 29, 2006

3 weeks old!


Every evening I let Meredith and her babies "free range" for a couple hours. She is turning out to be a great mother and I am sure she will sit on eggs again, now that she is in the habit.
At dusk, after they free range, Meredith settles down in the box that her chicks were born in! Then, I transfer them to their private coop area so bigger hens don't bother them.
The chick in the front is MYRTLE, the youngest and she is my favorite. She has white wings and I have no idea what egg or from what hen she has descended from; But like all my offspring, she is a mutt hen :)
I am amazed at how protective Meredith is. If a another hens gets too close to them, she will attempt to fight for blood!
At 2 months I will let them join the gaggle for good. The chicks should be weaned by that time.

1 Comments:

Blogger floots said...

you are brave
i would become too involved
my dad used to breed bantams
pheasants
(and parakeets)
when i was a kid
but i don't think i could do it now
a fascinating read though
cheers

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home